So, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. What can I say, I’m a busy guy and I don’t always have interesting stuff to talk about. That said, I was able to catch the ‘Gotham’ premiere this last Monday. I had some specific thoughts on the pilot episode and figured it would be a good reason to post.
Overall, I thought it was a good start. Not great, but definitely good. The camera work is stunning. To me, Gotham (the city) felt convincing, which I think is saying something for television.
Now, on to the stuff I didn’t like.
- I’d like to see the dialogue tightened up. Some of it just felt unrealistic. A stand out for me was the whole ‘there will be light’ speech, which (in my opinion) felt really forced. This ties directly into my next point.
- Some of the acting was a little over the top for my taste (I’m looking at you Penguin).
- Alfred. Alfred just feels wrong. I’m not exactly a fan of the look they gave him. He’s taken the whole thick English accent thing to another level (I could barely understand him sometimes). And he is kind of a dick. Like an unlikable hardass. From him prodding at young Jim Gordon to him yelling at Bruce, he just feels REALLY out of character.
- Maybe I’m imagining this one but, are they suggesting that Barbara Kean and Renee Montoya used to be romantically involved? And if so, why?
- The mustache. I’ve been following the development of this show from the beginning and I’ve known for a while that Jim would not have a mustache (at least not at first). I’ve tried to get over this but, after watching the pilot, this seems like a mistake. I look at Ben McKenzie and I see an aspiring young detective. I don’t necessarily see Jim Gordon. I couldn’t help taking to Photoshop to rectify this issue …
Like I said, overall, I really enjoyed the first episode. I just hope things get tighter, that’s all. And for the love of God … bring back the ‘stache.